What is this?
This is my own Jabber Instant Messaging server that I have and am using for my Live support. I decided to let the public use it so it isn't just useful to me.
What are some of the features of Jabber?
1. IM Gateway: used for using your own MSN, AIM, ect.. account on your jabber account so you can contact your friends on those IM services through Jabber.
2. Media services: use iChat to start a audio/video talk with your friends and family.
3. Server to Server: you can use jabber to make contact with people on other jabber services such as Google Talk (gmail), and jabber.org.
4. Offline Messages: never miss a message with offline messages. When your expecting an important message and your power goes off, not to worry because the messages sent to you when your offline is stored and sent to you when you come back on.
5. Presence: Let your friends know what your up to with presence (presence is commonly known as your status message.)
6. Group chat: Jabber allows you to chat with multiple people in a chat room.
There are many more features that you get with Jabber, these are just a few.
Hope you enjoy using jabber, Mr. Gecko.
How do I add my user to iChat?
1. Open iChat.
2. Go to the Preferences.
3. Go to the Accounts pane.
4. Click the + button to add a new user.
5. Choose Jabber Account as the type.
6. Set Account Name as firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Enter your password.
8. Click done.
How do I add my user to Adium?
1. Open Adium.
2. Go to File->Add Account->Jabber.
3. Set Jabber ID to email@example.com.
4. Enter your password.
5. Click Ok.
What clients can I use Jabber with?
There are many but I'll name some of the popular ones.
- Mac OS X
- Mac OS X
- Windows and Linux
- Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux
More can be found at jabber.org