Forum Index -> VoiceMac -> voicemac & google voice
Delete Thread
Page First 1 Last

Jay
September 22, 2011, 5:44:57 PM
Greets,

I can't make or receive calls on my Google Voice account using Voicemac.

So I guess my initial question is: are we supposed to be able to be able to make or receive calls via GV with this software? I see a lot of references in the docs to setting up other SIP providers, but no specific settings for GV. I don't receive any kind of error message when attempting to make a call, it just turns the handset icon red for about 10 seconds or so and then it changes back to black, but nothing happens otherwise, and the destination number doesn't ring.

From the "hey its working great" perspective, i'm loving the SMS functionality - that works like a champ! :)

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Mr. Gecko
September 22, 2011, 5:52:49 PM
The calling stuff is all for SIP. You can place calls using your home phone or cell phone by choosing the phone to ring as your home phone or cell phone or you can also use your Google Chat account if you so happen to have a windows machine with Google Chat on it and place calls that way. The main setup for Google Voice/Computer calling on VoiceMac is you setup a SIP Provider and setup that phone number with Google Voice, and then in the phone to ring, you choose that SIP phone number and have that SIP Account setup on VoiceMac. Then when you place a call, it'll call the SIP phone number and VoiceMac will automatically answer the phone to place the call with the destination phone number.

Sure that is all complicated, but there is no way other than to setup with Google's libjingle library (will take a lot more work on my side) to place calls using VoiceMac and Google Voice.

Jay
September 22, 2011, 6:01:13 PM
Ok - understood. Thanks for the detailed explanation and quick response - much appreciated!

Page First 1 Last
Name:
Email Address:
verify
Refresh