Forum Index -> VoiceMac -> Move code to github
Delete Thread
Page First 1 Last

mark
October 25, 2010, 4:52:27 PM
Have you considered moving your opensource projects to github? Their interface is the best on the internet for managing projects with git. It's much easier for people to get involved with your project as well. I would be more inclined to contribute to the project if it was there, since I'm already there contributing to other projects.

Mr. Gecko
October 26, 2010, 2:24:22 AM
I plan to make my own github like open source project that people could use to host their own stuff. The reason I like hosting my own is because I get more control and I can host as many projects and have them on my own domain as well as unlimited private for free. I do not have money as I need it for things such as college. I know github has public repos for free, but I still don't like changing to another server when I can use my own. The open source project I plan to make will have forums, wiki's, twitter like stuff, facebook like stuff, source code stuff, and a lot of other stuff. I plan to use it to make the best social network that is open and anyone can host their own. It will also be usable to make a website easily and so on. I will use it to replace my site and also the open source section.

mark
November 5, 2010, 6:29:46 PM
This response makes me sad. I don't want to be a beta tester of your homegrown source code hosting web app. I have limited time to spend contributing to projects on the side, and I don't want to waste part of that time dealing with bugs in the tools.

Mr. Gecko
November 5, 2010, 6:43:16 PM
I'm not going to be putting up beta's on my site, I'll have my own test ground that I test stuff until I'm sure it's all good. The current one is just ViewGit and if I trust people enough, I'll add them as a contributor to the project with access to ssh. The main reason for me wanting it to be on my server is I have a backup system on it that backups all my code to multiple places to keep it safe. And with GitHub, I can't do that, if GitHub dies, then I won't have a backup. The way I have it now, if you have a fix, send it to me and I'll test it to make sure there isn't a problem caused by it and then put it in the main code and say who added it and put them in the about box as a contributor with a website if they want. I could possibly just add it to github and do the hard work of pulling and pushing to both servers, but I do not know... I'll create a poll that people can say that they want me to add it to github or that they want me to stay where I am at now. The problem is I have loads of projects that I'm making opensource and I don't know if github has a limit on the number projects that I could have. When I make the poll, I'll post it, but first I want to finish the iPhone port.

Mr. Gecko
November 5, 2010, 10:11:25 PM
Ok, I added it to github, but this adds complexity to the process so you better be happy. The complexity being getting from my server and github as well as merging and pushing. I'll have to do more research on how to manage more than one remote. I still will keep https://opensource.mrgeckosmedia.com/ for people who wants to help and do not have github as well as for looking at the source easily using my site instead of going to an external one. You can find my projects on github at https://github.com/GRMrGecko/. They seem to have a limit of 0.30GB which I think I'll pass, so I don't know what they do when I get past it. I guess we'll have to see what happens. As I said, the main reason I have my server is for the automatic backup that iTunesMenu does for me (Yes, I use a application I made to do backup of it self and other stuff). I will not put my private stuff on github as I don't trust anyone.

Page First 1 Last
Name:
Email Address:
verify
Refresh