Forum Index -> VoiceMac -> CPU Usage
Delete Thread
Page First 1 2 Last

radiodialer
November 29, 2009, 7:19:06 PM
Why is it that the Voice Mac program CPU usage periodically jumps to 14 or 17% when idle? Is it poling online address book? Why does it need those cycles?

Mr. Gecko
November 29, 2009, 7:20:17 PM
On my computer it's from 0-0.5% when idle, how fast is your computer?

radiodialer
November 29, 2009, 7:51:20 PM
Its fast but I run many applications simultaneously at times so do not want any unwarranted spiking. I do not see why there is this polling taking place, it seems like every 15 seconds it spikes over 25% CPU utilization.

With regard to getting contacts online, I am not sure if there is caching going on, but my hope is that there is not. I would personally like the function of when I go to look up a number, the program then goes and runs out and looks up the number. In this way, the program does not have to do anything but sit there and wait for input. Once input is provided then it can do the look up. Once the call is initiated then it can do the setup.

By the way, my memory is leaking, about an hour in or so, I am already up to 506MB, from starting at round 250MB.

radiodialer
November 29, 2009, 7:53:12 PM
And just to be clear, the program duing non-spiking times idles at about 0.01 percent which is what I would expect.

radiodialer
December 4, 2009, 5:47:23 PM
Still wondering if there is a reason that every 15 seconds the program requires additional CPU utilization. Any insights appreciated.

Mr. Gecko
December 4, 2009, 5:50:09 PM
There is a reason, it's because it's checking to see if there is new messages in SMS and VoiceMail. But it shouldn't be more then 0.6% of your processor unless you have a slow computer, e.g. 900MHz or lower, so no need to worry about it.

radiodialer
December 4, 2009, 6:19:35 PM
OK - to eliminate any ambiguity, I would like to provide the following detail to you.

My Computer: MacBook w/ 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB.

VoiceMac Beta 5.1 Current Runtime Characteristics on my MacBook

- CPU Utilization at <1% but with >25% spiking every 15 seconds or so.

- Memory Leak, at the rate of approximately 400MBytes per hour.

If the memory leak gets resolved, I would like to suggest as an option that your program have an option where it sits idle until the user requests to access and update any information on Google Voice. In this way, there are no issues with regard to periodic polling of the server.

I would not bother writing all this except that the foundation of your program is VERY good and I would love to use it. But as it sits now, it is unfortunately not usable for me. FYI That I would be happy to assist with beta testing, etc. of any new features.

Mr. Gecko
December 4, 2009, 6:55:57 PM
Thanks for the details, I plain not to add new features until I fix the leaks, but as before, I can't do that until I finish my YouView update because I have plains set and if I break it, those people who are waiting for the update are going to get mad at me. When I get to Voice Mac again I'll be sure to have you beta test for me, ask me to become a buddy on AIM, MSN, Jabber, or Yahoo and I'll add you to my beta testers group.

radiodialer
December 4, 2009, 7:04:52 PM
No problem, understand if you have some other things on your plate. Let me know your AIM login and I will look you up there. (you should get a twitter account!).

Good Luck.

Mr. Gecko
January 10, 2010, 7:28:48 AM
It may have been a problem with my memory leaks, I fixed them here http://mrgeckosmedia.com/VoiceMac.zip give it a try and let me know.

Page First 1 2 Last
Name:
Email Address:
verify
Refresh